I have a question for you.
Did you get some good laughs today?
Awhile back I noticed that I had developed the nasty habit of taking myself just a wee smidge too seriously. I would do something totally goofy, and all I could say was, “Gee, Steph, really? What’s the problem?”
Let me tell you, when I realized what I was doing, I made haste replacing my grumpy face with a happy one. Taking myself so seriously when I did something ridiculous was getting me nowhere. And having those senior moments of putting the tortilla chips in the freezer and losing my glasses only to find them perched on my head — well, that’s pretty funny stuff! You might as well laugh!
So let me ask you: are YOU taking yourself too seriously? Can you laugh at the drop of a hat, or do you wear a furrowed brow most of the time? I get it! Life can be rough and tumble, and we all have ‘one of those days’ from time-to-time, but so what? That’s no reason to look like a certain green garbage-can-dwelling monster all day.
Here’s some really great news! Laughter is good for your health! It can lower blood pressure; increase endorphins, which relieve pain and make you feel good; reduce stress (whew!); increase immunity (yay!); make you feel good*, and so much more.
“Your sense of humor is one of the most powerful tools
you have to make certain that your daily mood and
emotional state support good health.”
~ Paul E. McGhee, Ph.D.
Is laughter the best medicine? The jury is still out on that though research is being done. It may not be the best but gosh, those benefits I just mentioned are sure worthwhile. If nothing else, it’s good to feel good.
- Watch a funny movie.
- Read a comic strip in the newspaper. (They do still make those, don’t they?)
- Go see your favorite comedian.
- Visit your local dog park and watch the antics there. (Your dog may enjoy it as well).
- Play with some children. My grandkids are worth a thousand laughs every visit.
And please stop taking yourself so seriously. Relax. Laugh a little more. Hey, laugh a lot more! It’s good for you.
Have you heard any good jokes lately?
Laughing all the way,
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
* LaMeaux, E.C. 7 Health Benefits of Laughter [web article]. Retrieved from http://life.gaiam.com/article/7-benefits-laughter
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –